April 22, 2020
Dear Seniors and Family,
I hope and pray that you and your family are well. It is with great humility that I write to you today with an understanding of how emotional this time is for you and your loved ones. You have been thrust into a situation that no person has ever faced. A student’s senior year is important, especially the activities and festivities that commemorate the end of the year. While this year is different in so many ways, I see our faculty and staff, local businesses, neighborhoods, and seniors themselves finding ways to celebrate the Class of 2020. I encourage this to continue because our seniors deserve it.
As information continues to change and update, it is important that the information you are now receiving is as accurate and factual as possible. Therefore, I want to thank all of you for your patience as I have been working with our staff, district leaders, and other high school principals to formulate reliable information and promote actionable ideas to honor each and every senior. I realize the emotion surrounding these days is intense and am hopeful that this information will begin to offer clarity while we work hard to recognize and honor our graduates.
We are proceeding with graduation as scheduled at this time on May 30, 2020 at 9:00 AM in the football stadium at Central High School if government guidelines allow. The University of West Georgia has notified us that all graduation ceremonies scheduled on their campus during the month of May have been cancelled.
In the event that social distancing requirements are still in place at the time of our planned graduation ceremonies in May, these dates in June and July serve as our back-up plans. Please note we have two days in July listed in the event we are allowed to use the UWG Coliseum for the July graduation ceremony. If we are unable to use the UWG Coliseum, the times for a ceremony at CHS will be announced at a later date. Please make sure you share this information with your family members.
|June 20, 2020||1:30 PM||UWG (CHS if needed)|
|July 25, 2020 (depending on UWG availability)||1:30 PM||UWG (CHS if needed)|
|July 28, 2020 (depending on UWG availability)||1:30 PM||UWG (CHS if needed)|
Please understand that we are committed to having a traditional graduation ceremony to celebrate and honor the Class of 2020. If social distancing requirements are still in place this summer, we are working on another possible date to hold this event during the fall.
Senior Cap and Gown Pickup
|May 7, 2020||9:00-1:00 PM||Campus drive by stadium|
- The pick-up process will follow Social Distancing (guidance from the Department of Public health) guidelines. Essential employees will be wearing gloves and masks.
- Please enter the campus through the rear gate by the baseball field. There will be stations arranged along the drive through the campus for returning school property and picking up your senior items.
- The distribution of caps and gowns will be done in a drive-through style. Do not leave your vehicle during pick-up. No students or family members will be permitted to exit their vehicle or congregate with others. This will be strictly enforced for the safety of all.
- Please write your full name (last name, first name) on a piece of paper in bold marker and place the sign where it is visible through your vehicle’s windshield.
- School personnel will come to the car to read the name of the senior.
- Additional graduation insignia such as honor stoles, Carroll County Scholar cords, and additional cords will be included in the pick up IF they have been received by the school by May 7.
- If you have not paid your Senior fees, please bring the $200 cash owed on May 7.
- Any additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Return of library books/textbooks/Chromebooks/uniforms
- All Chromebooks, textbooks, and uniforms will be collected May 7.
- Please bring any school property with you when you come to CHS to pick up caps and gowns.
Distance Learning Packets
- Student distance learning packets will be collected on May 7. Please bring them with you in order to receive credit for your work this nine weeks.
Mr. Jared A. Griffis