Carroll County School System
Bring Your Own Technology
Protocol for the Use of Technology on Carroll County School System Campuses
As new technologies continue to change the world in which we live, they also provide many new and positive educational benefits for classroom instruction. To encourage this growth, students in select classes may now bring their own technology. School administrators and participating teachers will continuously identify instructional benefits, evaluate, and refine BYOT use with students in classrooms.
Definition of "Technology"
For purposes of BYOT, "technology" means a privately owned wireless and/or portable electronic hand held equipment that includes, but is not limited to, existing and emerging mobile communication systems and smart technologies, portable internet devices, Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs), handheld entertainment systems or portable information technology systems that can be used for word processing, wireless Internet access, image capture/recording, sound recording and information transmitting/receiving/storing, etc.
Only the Internet gateway provided by the school system may be accessed while on a Carroll County School System campus. Use of personal Internet connective services such as, but not limited to, those provided to cell phones/ cell network adapters to access Internet sources is not permitted at any time.
Security and Damages
Responsibility to keep the device secure rests with the individual owner. Carroll County School System staff or employees are not liable for any device stolen or damaged on any campus. If a device is stolen or damaged, it will be handled through the administrative office similar to other personal artifacts that are impacted in similar situations. It is recommended that skins (decals) and other customer touches are used to physically identify your device from others. Additionally, protective cases for technology are encouraged.
BYOT Carroll County Student Agreement
The use of technology to provide educational material is not a necessity, but a privilege. A student does not have the right to use his or her laptop, cell phone or their electronic device while at school. When abused, privileges will be taken away. When respected, they will benefit the learning environment as a whole.
Students and parents/guardians participating in BYOT must adhere to the Student Code of conduct, Digital Citizenship Standards, as well as all Board policies, and Policy IFBG: Internet Acceptable Use.
• Must be in silent mode while on school campuses and while riding school buses.
• May not be used to cheat on assignments or tests, or for non-instructional purposes (such as making personal phone calls and text/instant messaging).
• May not be used to record, transmit, or post photographic images or video of a person, or persons on campuses during school activities and/or hours.
• May only be used to access files on computer or internet sites which are relevant to the classroom curriculum. Games are not permitted with exception of those aligned to instructional objectives and used according to guidelines established by the teacher.
Students acknowledge that:
• The school's network filters will be applied to one's connection to the Internet and attempts will not be made to bypass them.
• Bring on premises or infecting the network with a virus, Trojan, or program designed to damage, alter, destroy, or provide access to unauthorized data or information is in violation of Policy IFBG: Internet Acceptable Use.
• Processing or accessing information on school property related to "hacking", altering, or bypassing network security policies is in violation of Police IFBG: Internet Acceptable Use.
• The school district has the right to collect and examine any device that is suspected of causing problems or was the source of an attack or virus infection.
• Printing from personal electronic devices is not possible at schools.
• Personal technology is charged prior to bringing it to school and runs off its own battery while at school.
Additional Classroom-Specific Policies Teacher:
Permitted Times and Uses:
Restricted Times and Uses:
I understand and will abide by the above policy and guidelines. I further understand that any violation is unethical and may result in the loss of my network and/or technology privileges as well as other disciplinary action
Signature of Student ~ Date
Signature of Parent/Guardian ~ Date